11/18/2005

occasionally i try to be cool

and i fail. today, i tried listening to the latest "top tunes" on my launchcast.

heres what i heard...

"my humps"
"hollaback girl"
"golddigger"
"american idiot"- how is the world not tired of that song yet?
"beverly hills"- ok, i dont hate that song
and eleventy million songs by the Simpsons sisters. Hell in a handbasket. They really cant sing.

Heres what I wanted to hear. And still want to hear. I am just this lame.

I want to hear Journey. I want to hear Styxx. I want to here INXS. I want to here Depeche Mode, Cowboy Junkies, the Cure, Peter Gabriel, Elvis Costello, REM, I dont know. ANYTHING but whats new and popular today. I want to hear some good music. I want to hear something that doesnt talk about T&A. I can talk about that all by myself.

I am past the musical cool factor. I am stuck in the 80's and 90's. I am soo yesterday. But wait, thats not true at all. I like new music. I just hate mainstream music. I hate the crap that MTV pushes. I hate the things that are played on normal radio stations. I like alternative stuff. I like things that dont require commerical branding. I like "Kings of Convinence". I like "Jem"- and not the truly outrageous cartoon from the 80's. I like local Austin musicans. I like stuff that is different. Where is the originality? I mean come on Black Eyed Peas.. songs about booty- that has been done well by Sir Mix A Lot. Move on and try something new.

I want to fall in love with a musican again. I want to hear something while I am driving and say "damn I need to go buy that CD right now". That hasnt happened in soo long. And for my music loving heart that hurts.

I am about ready to break my own rule and whip out the Christmas CD's just to hear something different.

No comments: