4/28/2005

How music soothes the savage beasts...

I associate music with memories. The day my mom drove me to the airport to move to Texas, "Wide Open Spaces" was playing on her stereo. My first "time" - Bell Biv Devoe "Do Me"- sad but true, my first really good kiss " Son of a Preacher Man", The greatest summer of my life is defined by Indigo Girls "Closer to Fine". I could go on for hours. My friends joke and call me a walking iPod- I can pull a song out of my ass for any occasion. I just love music. Music makes me laugh, cry and pensive all in the course of 3 or 4 songs. I remember the song that was playing at my Grandfathers funeral "I'll Be Seeing You." I cry everytime I hear that song. Certain songs harken back to the time of my childhood- for some reason Peter Gabriels "Sledgehammer" reminds me of the fourth grade. Lord, I was weird even back then loving the "alt" songs.
A list of my favorites:
Aretha Franklin- Do Right
Bill Withers - I wanna spend the night
Indigo Girls- Closer to Fine
Fugees- Killing Me Softly ( I like that version better than Roberta Flack)
Micheal Buble- Home
George Micheal- Kissing a Fool
Barbra Striesand- Sadie
Frank Sinatra- The Best is Yet to Come
Dean Martin- Sway, Powder your Face with Sunshine
Doris Day- Love Somebody
Tracy Lawrence- Is that a tear in your eye?
Peter Gabriel- In Your Eyes, Dont Give Up
Sarah McLaughlin- Ice Cream
Pixies- Where is my mind?
The La's - There She Goes
Billy Joel- Only the Good Die Young
Cure- Pictures of You, Lullaby
Queen- Somebody to Love

My god, there are soo many more

1 comment:

Unknown said...

one of my favorite songs is "Pieces of Me" by Tori Amos. it reminds me a break up, after the break up i was so desperate to get him back, but too proud to tell him.